Friday 27 August 2010

#1 Tim Buckley - Honeyman


Honeyman: Live 1973

So here it is, disc of the day number one and it's one I haven't heard for years (found it at the back of the cupboard this morning looking for something else entirely).

I first heard Tim Buckley around 20 years ago when I was working in a record shop in Lancashire. I had a mate who ran his own second hand vinyl and CD shop round the corner and I used to go and sit in there with him at lunchtime. He'd play me whatever he had in stock that week and that was where I fell in love with most of the singer-songwriters I've loved over the years. Looking back most of them had voices that were definitely acquired tastes (Richard Thompson, Roy Harper, Neil Young, Tom Waits).

I've never been a huge fan of the Tim Buckley studio albums (although bits are great) but his live recordings (Honeyman, Dream Letter...., The Peel Sessions) are much more engaging, even if everything isn't necessarily in tune all the time. There's something rough and real about Tim's voice and the playing that makes the songs come alive more than most of the studio versions.

A great start - I think today may have more than one disc of the day....

No comments:

Post a Comment