Friday 5 November 2010

Disc of the Day #23 Bruce Springsteen 'Born to Run'



Born to Run

This morning I had a rather odd feeling as the first bars of today's disc kicked in - guilt. I have essentially been unfaithful, for every minute I spent listening to Born to Run I was wishing it was Nebraska instead. I have committed an infidelity (in thought at least).

It's not that I don't like Born to Run - I do. It's just that, while my ears were full of the pomp and swagger of the E Street Band at its finest I wanted nothing more than the gritty, grainy desolation of the later album.

My love for Nebraska dates back to the point in the mid 80s when a friend of my dad's made me a tape of Born in the USA and decided he needed to fill side 2 with more Bruce. As as result I got Nebraska with the song 'The River' at the end (even now I expect that song to come after 'Reason to Believe' every time I hear it).

I just love the sparseness of Nebraska - it's as though Bruce has sonically left space for the holes in society that the people he sings about have slipped through. Not necessarily the best way to prepare your head for the day but then maybe better than the guilty feeling I was left with.

So, today's disc of the day is sort of and sort of not Born to Run

No comments:

Post a Comment