Thursday 2 September 2010

#9 Television - Marquee Moon


Marquee Moon: Remastered & Expanded
About 15 years ago I went through a New York Punk phase. Armed with Clinton Helyin's wonderful From the Velvets to the Voidoids: The Birth of American Punk RockI trawled my way through the CBGBs era bands and beyond. Much of it I don't listen to any more (and probably won't) but there are a few albums that have become firm favourites and this (along with Patti Smith's Horses) is definitely one of them.

Much is always made of the guitar interplay between Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd on this album (and rightly so). However, listening to it again, it's the rhythm section that really stands out, particularly Billy Ficca's wonderful drumming that manages to be taught, supportive and solid yet always inventive and interesting.

I'd forgotten just how lost I can get in the title track and just how much I love the rest of the album. Now I want the remastered expanded version so I get the bonus tracks....

No comments:

Post a Comment