Monday 20 September 2010

#16 Radiohead - The Bends


Radiohead - The Bends
When I was at university everyone banged on about this album and I bought it thinking 'they can't all be wrong'. I listened to it a fair bit at the time but it never really got under my skin in the way I was expecting it to.

I have roughly the same relationship with Radiohead as I have with U2 - I can see why what they do is good, why it's important, why it's unique and why people love it. I just don't - love it that is. I think with U2 I know why that is. The band, Bono in particular, have spent so long creating a kind of post-modern rock-god-for-the-masses image that it actually gets in the way of me seeing them as real people singing about real stuff. Radiohead aren't the same though - they're pretty much as real as it gets.

All that said - I do love Fake Plastic Trees and High and Dry. I guess that's part of the problem with this album for me - after Fake Plastic Trees it's basically peaked for me and the rest seems like a let down.

I've got OK Computer as well and it hasn't bowled me over either. I reckon it's a bit like mushrooms or rhubarb though - eventually you have to stop trying and concede it's just not for you. There's so much music I love in this world I don't have enough time to listen to music I don't. I do still feel like it's my error though and there's something I'm missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment