Saturday 4 September 2010

#12 Messiaen - Quatuor pour la Fin du Temps (Barenboim)


Oliver Messiaen: Quatuor pour la Fin du Temps (Quartet for the End of Time) (1940).

I bought this after reading Alex Ross's wonderful The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century


In truth I did what I always do with music books that are well written - I blast through and don't take time to listen to the music the author is talking about at the time. I did this with Humphrey Carpenter's Britten biography amongst (many) others.

I listened to it on headphones at 10 in the morning at work with a hangover so I have no idea whether I liked it or not. Judgement is reserved but I will revisit this in another post when my brain is capable of listening properly.

In the meantime I will endeavour to get back to the book from the beginning and do some extensive listening after I read each chapter. May take some time but that's fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment