Saturday 28 August 2010

#3 Vasks String Quartets - Miami String Quartet


Peteris Vasks - String Quartets Nos. 1, 2 & 3
A few years ago I worked for a music publishing company and every now and then there'd be a clearout of cupboards which meant big boxes of CDs we could help ourselves to. Most of the classical and opera was ignored by everyone except lucky old me. This is one of the CDs I picked up back then and I listened to it quite a bit at the time (just as pure speculation, I'd never heard of the composer) but probably haven't done so for at least 5 years.

Listening again I'm reminded of what I really liked about the quartets - especially the 3rd. There's some great use of texture in the writing and an almost filmic quality, especially in the slower movements. Sadly I don't think this disc is available any more.

A welcome rediscovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment